Financial Stewardship Beyond Investment Management
As independent registered investment advisors with a focus on the non-profit sector, we help non-profits with: endowment & cash reserves management, fundraising and stewardship of resources, and assisting the board in navigating their fiduciary obligations.
in navigating their
Non-profit client focus areas of Plum Street Advisors include:
We understand the unique needs of non-profit entities…
not only from serving them as clients, but because we have participated on non-profit boards for decades as volunteers. We look to help board members gain a comprehensive understanding of their fiduciary obligations; achieve an integration of fundraising and financials, and align their entity’s goals and mission with their investment portfolio.
We follow a planning-first approach, meaning we do not charge fees for board education or financial planning work. Additionally, our investment advisory services often result in significantly lower cost portfolios. We have designed our services from your perspective and always strive to sit on your side of the table.
Let us come and speak to you or your finance committee
about our unique approach to serving the non-profit sector.
Our Services for Non-Profits Include:
Endowment & Cash Reserves Management
- Integrate your short, medium, and long-term investment plans with your strategic plans
- Develop a customized strategic asset allocation aligned with your organization’s specific cash-flow projections, time horizon, and liquidity needs
- Implement the investment portfolio using low-cost ETFs and index funds – and help with transitioning out of high-cost investments
- Monitor and report on your investments to the finance committee and the board
- Propose options for sustainable investments aligned with your organization’s mission
Fundraising and Stewardship
- Help your organization to set fundraising goals, and integrate these with the investment policy
- Expand your fundraising by giving your donors a clear picture of how the endowment integrates with your budget and future growth projections.
- Design unique opportunities for donors to have a long-term impact on your organization by aligning their gift with your endowment or through planned giving strategies.
- Help you develop a spending policy that ensures prudent use of endowment and long-term investment accounts
- Conduct board trainings on fiduciary duties, including how to understand the entity’s financial statements, ensuring proper budgeting procedures, and understanding long term investment options.
- Create or update your organization’s investment policy to address individual responsibilities, risk, allowable investments, etc.
We build in-depth relationships with our clients by offering experienced guidance within the setting of a smaller, more personalized firm.
Towards the end of 2022, Congress passed a spending bill, known as the SECURE Act 2.0, that included several new provisions that impact retirement savings. Although some of these changes were aimed at companies, many of the most significant changes affect individuals...
Plum Street Advisors 2022 Q4 Commentary 2022 was a dramatic year in many ways. Russia invaded Ukraine in February, the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in June, and elections in November unexpectedly led to a split Congress. The dramatic news in financial...
Plum Street Advisors 2022 Q3 Commentary While at first glance the third quarter brought more of the same (more inflation, more market declines, more political turmoil), some positive signs of change in these trends have emerged. US GDP is expected to get...